Magazines.com, Inc.
TigerDirect

$5 FREE +
Up to 25% Off with Ebates!

Click here to join ebates. Get a $5 credit just for joining and up to 25% off your on-line shopping at 800 stores! Read my post on how it works.

Find a Deal? E-Mail Me!

If you find a deal you think I should post, e-mail me at deals@dealreader.com

Blogroll

Topic Index

Saturday, June 16, 2007

When is a Good Deal a REALLY Good Deal?

It's really a good deal when it's right for your situation. But that doesn't just mean that you need to get the item/trip right now. By expanding the way you think about deal-hunting, you can find more and even be of help to friends and family. You can match bargains with something you planned for the future or match great deals with someone you know is interested in certain things.

To expand the list of what I consider great deals, I try and keep several shopping options open while I look. My hunting isn't just for myself to buy at that moment in time , but other ideas as well. I try and keep ideas in my head for future gift-giving occasions. Who says you can't buy Christmas presents in February? If you have someone with a passion for Swatch watches and you find an amazing deal in February, consider buying it then and having it ready to give at Christmas. Saves time later in the year too.

Also try and keep in mind where your friends and relatives live or where they like to travel. Then, if you find a great deal on Travelzoo or Shermans Travel, call them and let them know, or email the link. Last year I found an amazing airfare on SAS from NY to Warsaw and sent the link out to my Polish relatives. Even though the timing wasn't working for me to travel during the special, I wanted them to have the chance to take advantage of the deal.

Tell your friends and family about some of the deals you've found. Often, they'll mention an item they've been looking for. That way when you're looking, you can keep an eye out for their items as well. Since I look at deal-hunting as a game, I figure I've won the game even when I'm not the buyer -- I've won when I can tell my friends or family about the deal and they get the win too! Had a friend tell me he was looking for a 4Gb SD card at lunch this past Wednesday and on Friday I spotted a bargain with a rebate and let him know.

To me the making of a great deal is the match-up of what's needed/wanted with a great price for it. By expanding the field of people and time-frames, there are more deals to be had, and more fun too. If I know people can benefit, it makes the searching for deals more inviting.

No comments: